Monday, April 21, 2008

Mix #11 - School/ Work

Creator: Casey Chalmers
Occupation: Videographer
Theme: School and Work
Title: School/Work(Double Disc)

I always am exited to get a mix from Casey, because it, without fail, introduces me to a ton of new music. It also makes me curious how I didn't already know a group named "Cock Sparrer"? It seems like I should be on their mailing list.

These are both fun mixes, and it surprised me how often many of the Wu-Tang Clan affiliates sung (growled) about school. I suppose it is a topic almost all us have in common with the Wu-Tang Clan -- at least that and the fact that Clark's are really comfortable, and we should all diversify our stocks and bonds. They're no one to fuck with.

I was surprised that the Jackson 5's, "ABC" didn't make the list, and I was very happy to see that Bachman-Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care of Business" was absent.

BTO - First there is no "Overdrive" about any of their music. Just the term "overdrive" seems like you should be the opposite of everything they are about. I can't condone the misappropriation of that term.

Second, every corporate event I have ever been a part of (and there have been too many) use this song as some kind of rocking anthem, and if it doesn't start the day out, it WILL close the convention down as part of some slide show event that magically makes it seem like everyone wants to be sitting there for a week of eating buffet lunches, binge drinking the nights away in the bar to stay sane, and late night groping of co-workers.

In Canada, they eat that shit up!

Thumbs up for the Uncle Tupelo, Willie Hightower, and The Degrassi High Theme Song.

My only other comment is: It takes some balls to put a 7 minute Pet Shop Boys Song on any mixed tape.


School
1) Degrassi High School Theme
2) School - Masta Killa/Rza
3) High School Confidential - Hasil Adkins
4) Rock 'n Roll High School - The Ramones
5) Fuck School - The Replacements
6) Principle's Office - Young MC
7) School Days - Chuck Berry
8) Obedience School - Brian Dewan
9) When I kissed the Teacher - ABBA
10) Everything I ever wanted to know about genocide I learned it - Broadways
11) Academy Fight Song - Mission of Burma
12) Skipped a Grade - Franklin Bruno
13) Wonderful World - Sam Cooke
14) Teacher Teacher - Toots and the Maytals
15) High School - MC5
16) Sukie in the Graveyard - Belle and Sebastian
17) Child's Play - Ghostface Killah



Work
1) I got an office job with the sole purpose of harassing you - Anal Cunt
2) Money, money, money - ABBA
3) Never Get Ahead - Bobby Conn
4) Backroad into town - Willie Hightower
5) Working - Cocksparrer
6) I hate work - MDC
7) Working for the Man - Roy Orbison
8) 9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
9) Blu Colla Workers - Blue & Exile
10) Opportunities - Pet Shop Boys
11) A new Career in a new town - David Bowie
12) Graveyard Shift - Uncle Tupelo
13) Which Side are you On? - Dropkick Murphys
14) Career Opportunities - The Clash
15) Work Hard/Play Hard - Palace Music
16) Welcome to the working world - Elvis Costello
17) Abducted by the work Aliens - Heavy Vegetable
18) One Piece at a Time - Johnny Cash
19) I Can't Wait to Get Off Work - Tom Waits

1 comment:

lilyknife said...

Casey left out "School Days" by the Runaways and "One More Dollar" by Gillian Welch.
-Stacy