Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mix #9 - Gambling

Creator: Kyle Burns
Occupation: Insurance
Theme: Gambling
Title: Gambling

Track Listing:

1) Viva Las Vegas - Dead Kennedys
2) Ohh, Las Vegas - Gram Parsons
3) Gambling Man - Woody Guthrie
4) The Ace of Spades - Motorhead
5) Dying Gambler - Blind Willie McTell
6) Go Down Gambling - Blood, Sweat & Tears
7) Luck be a lady tonight - Frank Sinatra
8) Polka Dot Gambler - Jimmie Rodgers
9) Rambling Gambling Willie - Bob Dylan
10) Poker - ELO
11) Sin City - EmmyLou Harris
12) Where the Devil Don't Stay - Drive By Truckers
13) The Gambler - Kenny Rodgers

This is a great mix! Starting off with the Dead Kennedys was the right thing to do. I figured you someone would be bound to start or end with The Gambler. I have some memory of this song from early childhood. Maybe an uncle sang this to me, maybe it was on when something traumatizing was happening, so it stuck. The other highlights, for me, were the Gram Parsons song, Ohh Las Vegas. I like Parsons stuff, especially the Flying Burrito Bros. records, but this had someone escaped me. Also, The Drive-By Truckers. I thought they were bullshit. I was wrong.

Roll them dice!

No comments: