Monday, May 5, 2008

Mix #13 - Songs that Spell

Creator: Matt Smith
Occupation: Retail
Theme: Spelling
Title: Songs that Spell

As Wu-Tang says, "Aw Shit, that's the jam."
I like this theme. This is kind of a quintessential "Monday Night Mix Tape" theme. What I found so interesting was until I was listening to these songs, grouped together like this, I don't think I would have been able to list so many songs with spelling.

I am a little hung over and I am going to let this one speak for itself. I want to leave you with these questions:
1) Don't you think Hall & Oats kind of blow?
2) Will you put a song on a mix that you hate, but fits so well you can't ignore it?
3) Isn't Wu-Tang actually the jam?

NOTE: Due to a bunch of mixes arriving. Next mix will be posted Thursday May, 8th. Keep sending them in. I'll keep posting them. Spread the word.

This is the anthem. . . get your damn hands up!

Enjoy.
Song-Artist

1) Izzo (Hova) - Jay Z
2) D.A.N.C.E. - Justice
3) Washington D.C. - Magnetic Fields
4) D.I.V.O.R.C.E. - Tammy Wynette
5) Friction - Television
6) Veloria - Pixies
7) Lola - The Kinks
8) Method Man - Wu-Tang Clan
9) Gloria - Patti Smith
10) Girlfriend - The Modern Lovers
11) Method of Modern Love - Hall & Oats
12) Respect - Aretha Franklin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a most instructive mix. I now know that Method Man's banner shout/spell-out is a Hall and Oates reference.
However, I still can't find any legit spellgazms in "Friction" or "Velouria", unless you're counting the stunning couplet "My Velouria, even I adorrrreeeyuuuhhh" which not only skirts the definition of spelling, but is also a fairly grave offense against rhyming, speaking, singing, and songwriting. And yet, it will always rule.
I think you should follow this up with a "Songs that Smell" disc, if only to give some love to G.G. Allen and (I assume) Lil Kim. Which I now see is quite obviously just an anagram for LILI ALLENMKGG.

Anonymous said...

see Matt I finally visted. I would deffinitely get this mix tape and listen to it all the time! Fun theme...good mix which of course is the quintessence of a MIX tape...haha.Well this is a fun site. Just thought I stop by and improve my rep.