Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Recommends #7

It is time again when the Monday Night Mix Tapes home offices offer you a piece of gold to put in your pipe and smoke.

Co-writing credit goes to Thom Snowden. If you haven't checked it out, you can find his mix here.

1) Bonnaroo: Its that time of the year again, kids. It will be hot, sweaty, sticky, expensive, with an arguably shitty line up. So why go? Because Bonnaroo is completely lawless. It is to music fans what Tangiers, Morocco was to the Beat writers - only instead of doing opium and sleeping with 15 year old boys you will be doing hallucinogens and listening to a seemingly endless stream of music . . . with people that are into jam bands.
I know, I know, I know, it sounds like this combo might ruin your well-crafted buzz, but when I went, my trip started with a van load of shirtless neo-hippies playing drums right next to my tent - then they disappeared for three days - and on the last day one of the guys reappeared as I woke up. He was standing on top of his van, free-style gasta rapping at everyone on the ground about murder and jewelry and had a very fresh new tattoo of a fully grown oak tree on his back.
So I guess what I am trying to say is that Bonnaroo is a place of experimentation and growth and sometimes you come as one person and leave as another. . . an acorn to an oak tree. . . which is good, because so many of those people suck at life.

2) Turning in applications via the internet: Many things about the digital age sucks. Nothing is personal, and our attention spans have decreased to a point where goldfish are going to start telling us where we left our keys - seriously when was the last time you applied for a job in your underwear? Never- that's when. Revel in that shit.

3) Spending time with your internet friend "craigslist": What an age we live in! With the click of a mouse you can get a flat screen TV or an erotic message for a reasonable price. The downside? I can't see one. . . I see many. . . But I won't notice because I will be watching my brand new Bravio Television while getting a happy ending. SNAP!

No comments: