Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mix #16 - Double or Nothing

Creator: Stacy Jackson
Occupation: Graphic Designer
Theme: Two in a Row
Title: Double or Nothing

This is a long eclectic mix for getting back into work after the holiday weekend. Tons of songs to enjoy.

I was really excited by so much world music (a genre that was lacking up until now, but Stacy fixed that in a big way.) This mix introduced me to Huun-Huur-Tu. Holy shit! I was going to save it for a "recommends", but I felt that everyone needed to check it out. Their music is good, but their style is amazing.

The idea behind this mix is two songs by the same artists or two songs off the same album. She also provided the album that she got the music from so you can track it down!

That is all from me for now. Enjoy the mix! Let her know what you think?

As far as what to say about my mix, it's just stuff that's currently in my rotation, *OR* that I simply have to include otherwise it just wouldn't be me. I have to include Galaxie 500 and GN'R. Period. Me and Sly & The Family Stone go way back too. Sly understands me. We just get closer as the years go by. Oh and I deeply regret not remembering to include Serge Gainsbourg. Poopy. Mix tapes are hard! Nobody cares as much as I do, anyway. ;)

DOUBLE OR NOTHING - PART ONE:
SONG - ARTIST - ALBUM
1) M'bifé - Amadou & Mariam - Dimanche À Bamako
2) La Réalité - Amadou & Mariam - Dimanche À Bamako
3) Under The Gun - Broken Spurs - Give It Your Blood
4) Shake - Broken Spurs - Give It Your Blood
5) Police On My Back - The Clash - Clash On Broadway [Disc 3]
6) Every Little Bit Hurts - The Clash - Clash On Broadway [Disc 3]
7) Rainbowarriors - CocoRosie - The Adventures Of Ghosthorse And Stillborn
8) Japan - CocoRosie - The Adventures Of Ghosthorse And Stillborn
9) Cheese And Onions - Galaxie 500 - Uncollected
10) Crazy - Galaxie 500 - Uncollected
11) Santa Maria (Del Buen Ayre) - Gotan Project - La Revancha Del Tango
12) Diferente - Gotan Project - Lunático
13) Rocket Queen - Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
14) I Don't Care About You - Guns N' Roses - The Spaghetti Incident?
15) Tear Me Down - Hedwig - Hedwig And The Angry Inch
16) Wig In A Box - Hedwig - Hedwig And The Angry Inch
17) Aa-Shuu Dekei-oo - Huun-Huur-Tu - The Orphan's Lament
18) Eki Attar - Huun-Huur-Tu - The Orphan's Lament
19) River - Joni Mitchell - Blue
20) You Turn Me On I'm A Radior - Joni Mitchell - For The Roses



DOUBLE OR NOTHING - PART TWO:
SONG - ARTIST - ALBUM
1) 'Upa-'Upa - Les Tamaru [of the Society Islands] - The Secret Museum of Mankind
2) Hill And Gully Ride; Mandeville Road - Lord Composer [of Jamaica] - The Secret Museum of Mankind
3) It's Tricky - Run-D.M.C. - Greatest Hits
4) Mary, Mary - Run-D.M.C. - Greatest Hits
5) If You Want Me To Stay - Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh
6) Skin I'm In - Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh
7) Ufumura Udun (Mimichri Boji) - Takashi Hirayasu & Bob Brozman - Jin Jin, Firefly
8) Chon Chon Kijimuna - Takashi Hirayasu & Bob Brozman - Jin Jin, Firefly
9) Do I Do - Stevie Wonder - Definitive Collection
10) Fingertips Pt.2 - Stevie Wonder - Definitive Collection
11) Carrito pasajerito - Various Artists - Peru: Kingdom Of The Sun: The Inca Heritage
12) Wachaca - Various Artists - Peru: Kingdom Of The Sun: The Inca Heritage
13) Red Hot - Billy "The Kid" Emerson - Sun Records: 25 Blues Classics
14) The Chicken (Dance With You) - Rosco Gordon - Sun Records: 25 Blues Classics
15) Sometimes I Wish I Had A Gun - Mink Stole - A Date With John Waters
16) If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked A Cake - Eileen Barton & The New Yorkers - A Date With John Waters
17) Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Nancy Sinatra - Kill Bill, Vol. 1
18) Battle Without Honor Or Humanity - 布袋寅泰 - Kill Bill, Vol. 1
19) Yeh Dosti Hum Nahin - Kishore Kumar & Manna Dey - The Rough Guide To Bollywood
20) Aap Jaise Koi - Nazia Hassan - The Rough Guide To Bollywood
21) Sorry Entertainer - Calvin Johnston - Late Great Daniel Johnston
22) Devil Town - Bright Eyes - Late Great Daniel Johnston
23) Home Is Where The Hatred Is - Esther Phillips - Soul Sides, Vol. 2: The Covers
24) Kissing My Love - Spanky Wilson - Soul Sides, Vol. 2: The Covers


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see Sly on your list and what great choices to include from among his many classics. I really like "Skin I'm In" because it says so much about what Sly was experiencing at the time. I write about this and more in my book, Sly: the Lives of Sylvester Stewart and Sly Stone. I hope you'll check it out.