Friday, May 30, 2008

New Music #1

First - A thank you to Nashville Mix Tapes for plugging the site on air last night. His show was good, and if you are in the Nashville area make sure you tune in Thursdays 10pm-11pm. He plays a themed mix tape every week. Hopefully, we can get him to send one in. Check out the link for yesterday's track listing.

Second - Here at the Monday Night Mix Tapes home office, we buy music. A lot of music. Too much music. So I thought I would start a series about the music that we buy.

Artist: Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Album: Lie Down in the Light

I have been a fan of Will Oldham and/or his other incarnations for a while. I wasn't a fan right away. I think it takes a minute to get your ears out of tune enough to like it. An "Appalachian Post-Punk Lo-fi" aesthetic is hard to love right away. I also haven't been a fan of every release. Drag City releases something from Will Oldham, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace Brothers, Palace Songs or Palace Music, or a collaboration so often I don't connect with all of it.

I picked the new record up in Louisville at Ear-X-tacy while passing through Kentucky earlier this week. I was happy that I had it to see me onward to the South. I think it is the strongest release in a while. Track one: "Easy Does It" will get you right away.

I am not going give you some sort of track review or album overview. Check it out. You will like it.

Check out what Pitchfork has to say.

No comments: